Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Dec 2001 22:39:53 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Ist Wasserboxer

>I read somewhere that "Wasser" was the name of the person who engineered the >VW engine with pistons that "box" each other, or was that a joke or a myth? >The German word for water is "wasser" according to the dictionary in >vanagon.com so when someone said "Wasser" was the inventor's name was he >pulling our proverbial leg?

As others have said, "wasser" (pronounced vuhzzer, to rhyme with buzzer) ist Deutsch fur water.

Dunno where "boxer" comes from, but it's nicht Englisch, I believe, but may well be Italian (pronounced itt-ah-lee-ah) as in Ferrari Berlinetta Boxer.

Any OPPOSED engine with a single crankshaft (ie pistons outboard of a single central crankshaft) is a boxer, whether horizontal, vertical or any inclination in between. It can be 2-stroke or 4-stroke; sidevalve, pushrod-ohv, SOHC, DOHC or have any other valve design including rotary valves or sleeve-valves.

An opposed engine with crankshafts outboard of the pistons (combustion chamber between the crowns of the paired pistons, which almost touch one another at TDC) is... I dunno... double-acting? I believe the Napier Sabre engine fitted to das WW2 Englisch Hawker aircraft (ecxuse me while I puke, bitte) were two of these couppled together, one on top of the other, and tended to catch fire spontaneously.

Some boxer engines: Briggs & Stratton made one Ferrari flat-12 Porsche flat 4s, 6s & 8s VW aircooled 4s & Type 25 nondiesel 4s BMW motorcycle twins Puch (WW2) " (rhymes with chook) Douglas " Lilac " Voshkod/Ural " Honda GoldWing " larger Subarus (over 1.0) some Citroen 4s & twins Lycoming & Continental aircraft engines Chev Corvair Jowett Ferguson FF 4WD cars Alfa Romeo Alfasud/33

Can anyone think of others? Hmmm... would a boxer-type engine with an odd number of cylinders be a true boxer? One cylinder would be unopposed. Ha! a semiboxer! I've just invented a new engine layout... -- Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Ph: 0064 (3) 473-8863 fax: 0064 (3) 479-7527 1986 Toyota Corolla 1.8DX CE80 diesel sedan 1989 Toyota Corolla 1.8DX CE96 diesel van 1989 Toyota Corona 2.0D Select CT170 diesel sedan 1992 Toyota Estima Lucida 2.2 turbodiesel MPV (=narrow "Previa") 1984 VW Caravelle GL (to be fitted with 260hp Subaru SVX flat-6 & Porsche G50 trans) Seashell, Macintosh, VW & Toyota van nut Friends don't let friends do Windows