Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Dec 2001 11:03:22 -0800
From:         Bess's Buddies <bess@EARTHNOW.ORG>
Subject:      Re: New Canvas Adventure
Comments: cc: Warren Chapman <vwsyncroguy@YAHOO.COM>

We installed one as well, and it went pretty easy. About 6 hours in uncomfortable positions with an electric staple gun, but were very happy with the new canvas that we had gotten from GoWesty. We had our top off, I personally feel it would have been easier to start from the bottom up.

Of all the parts we have gotten on our restoration, we thought the canvas was the coolest and best fitting.

Happy New Year

Glen & Ri 67 Singlecab 87 Westy

At 10:17 AM 12/31/2001 -0800, you wrote: >Just finished installing a new three window canvas from GoWesty. > >Boy what a job! Some comments. > >I thought this would be pretty straitforward job but it proved not to be. > >I took the pop-top off the van and installed the top portion first. I don't >think I could have done it with the top in-place on the van. I had >measured the new canvas, compared to the original and found the new one to >be too long in the front by 2-3 inches. I wanted a taught, wrinkle free fit >so when I installed the front part, I pulled extra canvas to the outside of >the aluminum strip before screwing it down. At the rear I installed it as >it and, on the sides also until about 2/3 of the way to the front, where I >started taking up a bit extra. GoWesty (and canvas supplier) take note!!! >Why isn't this thing cut to fit correctly. It would take the guesswork out >of the process. I have two original canvases and they all measure the >same......why can't the new one match?? > >THIS IS A MUST!!! When screwing down the aluminum strips that hold the >canvas, always start in the middle and work outwards......on all four sides. > It easier to make adjustments for IMPERFECTLY FIT (CUT) OF THE CANVAS. >One side of my canvas was too long and it ended "bunched" in one place. > >The rear with the elastic is the hardest. Very little room to work for a >big guy like me. Seems like almost every screw fought me for correct >alignment. I resorted to using an ice pick to pre-punch the holes before >inserting the screws. This helped. > >The canvas is heavier and coarser than the factory Westfalia, but generally >of decent quality. Even though heavier than the original, it's made of >cotton and not stiff like the synthetic Sunbrella fabric. The screens and >trim are black instead of white like the factory and IMHO not as attractive. > The three windows are great though. Love the extra light, ventilation >and view from the upper bed. ANOTHER SUGGESTION: The windows have no ties, >however, to keep them tidy and rolled up when unzipped. They should have! >Even my (Ex) Eurvan Winnebagel camper had them. > >Generally an OK produce but with lots of room for improvement and quality >control. There's an opportunity for this supplier and another one to make >this product a LOT BETTER. Except for the advantages of the three windows, >it's not up to the quality of the original. > >Warren Chapman > > > >--------------------------------- >Do You Yahoo!? >Send your FREE holiday greetings online at Yahoo! Greetings.