Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Dec 2001 12:22:20 -0500
From:         Pierre Beaudry <beaudryp@SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Red light temp and engine replacement

Hi volks !

I have a Vanagon West 1989 with an engine that has 224 000 Kms (123 000 miles). I live in Quebec close from Ottawa. Since this past summer I have been loosing antifreeze and had to keep on refilling it. The engine has been acting up and forced me to few stops on my trip in the States last summer. The red light on the temp side comes on after few kilometers (not the oil light) and I only use the van for short distances has it is no longer reliable.

A) I had the van checked by two mechanics and they both fear that the engine is on its last run. Any comments ? Or should I try something before admitting that it is the end for this engine....

B) If it is the case though I need a new engine. Where can I get a reliable engine at a reasonable cost... transportation included... and what should I be careful about ? Or do you know of any garage or mechanics from my area that could do a good job ?

C) Finally I was told that many had replaced their engine by a Subaru (Legacy) engine and that was working well. Any advice on this ? Is the cost high or competitive ? I guess this requires a kit fo some sort... where could I get that ? Do any of you know of a reliable mechanic or garage that could do such a job at a good price ?

D) Any other alternative I could consider ?

Thanks for your help.

Pierre Gatineau, Quebec, Canada