Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Dec 2001 09:22:17 -0500
From:         Ed L Lloyd <elloyd10@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      9  People in a Westy

I had my doubts, but the rest of our group wanted to try, so we loaded 9 people going on a caving trip into my 87 WestFalia, or is that WestPHalia?

Anyway, there was one generous size person, and the smallest was a teenager. No kids, all adult size wearing caving outfits, with boots, helmets, backpacks, 150 feet of caving rope, and assorted gear.

We put 3 across the rear bench seat, 2 in the floor, a driver and passenger, and 2 sitting in the far back, sharing the space with a large box of supplies. The two in the far back were the only ones that seemed cramped, and only because the low ceiling made them have to duck their heads down. But then again cavers are used to small cramped spaces.

We only had to go a mile or so from the main parking area to the cave entrance, but it was on a narrow, steep and hilly road. The 87 Westy performed well, sagged and groaned a bit, but seemed to have plenty of power on the hills.

We did the same thing on the trip back, but this time we had 9 tired and muddy people. I spread old towels around to sit on, which helped. Anyone on the List know how to deep clean a van? Any volunteers?

The Westy purred nicely on the trip home from Harpers Ferry to DC, and with just 3 people for the homeward trip it was very roomy. Saw a 79 type 2 in Shepards town, and knew we passed List member Jamie in Harpers Ferry, and another guy I met at Tom Forhan's who lives in Frederick Md.

I could now use my odometer, thanks to the list.

Interstate speeds of about 65, tach solid in the green at about 3500, an automatic, temp pegged on the led center position. no leaks or drips, will have to check oil to verify if any lower, have been running synthetic 15-50.

Ed in Md 87 "A Van with no name."