Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Dec 2001 10:36:02 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: YES - fuel pressure regulator fix?
Comments: cc: VGONMAN@msn.com

I need to add one more thing........ this configuration improved my throttle response.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001 10:04:50 -0600 Stan Wilder <wilden1@juno.com> writes: I would like to know, for i have one and am curious............

Well OK! Back about 120K miles ago I started adjusting my AFM (just the rich/lean screw) I kept getting lean burn on #4 spark plug. After swapping around injectors, replacing injector seals, manifold seals, various heat range of plugs etc. I was still getting lean burn on #4. After looking at several fuel systems on WaserBoxers and Vanagons it was easy to tell that some used a full loop system and others used a dead end system (one line to the regulator). Being somewhat of a junkyard dog I decided to try the dual line regulator and after a little plumbing ingenuity I came up with a full loop system to accommodate the dual line regulator. It cured my #4 lean burn and has been on the vehicle ever since and functions very good. There is also an upside to this since Texas junkyards are almost nil on air cooled and full of water cooled, the part is readily available to me at about $5.00 so it is cheap to buy and keep spares. I'm open to the flames on this so let me hear about your experiences of lean burn on #4 on typeIV aircooled engines.

Stan Wilder

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001 10:26:16 -0500 "Adam Puzerewski" <VGONMAN@msn.com> writes: I would like to know, for i have one and am curious............

----- Original Message ----- From: Stan Wilder Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2001 10:25 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: YES - fuel pressure regulator fix?

You can use a part # 0.280.160.200 the part can comes from 75-79 Bug, or 74-83 Van. I'm running the dual line regulator on my 83 that came from an 87 Vanagon. The early model 0.280.160.200 will require a T but will be in the right pressure range and should work good. If you don't want to install a T you need to block one of the fuel lines since later models are a full loop. I don't know why you couldn't find this part at a FLAPS. Rocky Mountain list it at $59.00 I'll explain why I'm running the 87 double inlet regulator if list members need to know.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001 09:45:51 EST Finn Runyon <Finrun@AOL.COM> writes: > Thanks to all that have responded to mt questions reguarding the fuel > pressure regulator problem! Too many to thank personally, but know > that all of your help has been heartfelt...thanks! > > Several have suggested removing the the pressure regulator and > clamping the hose...is this a good idea? I have a 3 hour trip to > get the Pooh home, and it seems that there are no new or used > regulators in the Annapolis area. With New Years eve tomorrow, it > will be the middle of the week before I could get the part and back > on the road. I am open to a jury rig, but not sure of this things > function, nor which hose to clamp. Seems to me that it must > restrict flow back to the tank from the 2 fuel rail? Is this to > keep the pressure up at the injectors? > > Thanks for any advice you can give... > Finn Runyon > 87 Westy "Pooh" > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.