Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Dec 2001 14:03:56 -0800
From:         Wayne Hagan <waynehagan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power Cat versus Buddy Heater
Comments: To: Michael Sheridan <msheridan@IGC.ORG>

Michael, I bought a Power Cat and used it on my trip through the Southwest last Oct.-Nov ( http://homepage.mac.com/waynehagan/haganph.htm ) I just made sure to crack a window or have the pop top up, (lots of exchange through the thin canvas), and all was well. One morning I woke up to 25 degrees outside and the Cat heater had me warm in the van within 20 minutes. I place it on the floor between the two front seats facing aft. One reason I bought it was the statement in the instructions or the box that said it only required 6 square inches of air supply to counteract any 02 issues. I used mine in the morning and evening each day for 3 weeks and only used 3 bottles and never replaced the batteries. Simple, elegant solution to the heat issue, the fan seems to make the biggest difference, I tried other portable propane heaters in the past without fans and with the same heat rating, but they did not work as well as this one with the fan. If I used my van the majority of the time in the cold I might consider a more permanent set-up with a combustion air intake, but given the use my van gets I like being able to remove it when I don't need it, or stow it while traveling. A note on the propane bottles: after they are spent make sure to not store them in the van, the lack of pressure causes them to leak residual gas. Cheers! Wayne '91 Syncro Westy