Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Jan 2002 17:49:11 -0500
From:         Adam Puzerewski <VGONMAN@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: tiico conversion vs. other I4 conversions
Comments: To: Data Services <dataservices@MEDIAONE.NET>

Volks, Having done one TIICO conversion with a fellow listee, let me tell you that it is an excellent product ONCE you get all the components from TIICO. It took quite a while after the original crate to get all the stuff we ended up missing in the kit........

The installation manual, is, quite frankly, a piece of shit. There is no materials list of any value, and many instructions in the manual did not apply, for there were differnt parts in the kit.

If you have not pulled a few vanagon motors in the past, this is way beyond your capabilities.

My point is, it is an excellent set up once installed. And this is the words of someone that has done it themselves in a shop. The disclaimer is that you had better be pretty mechanically inclined and have had worked on various different cars over the years to be able to fly by the seat of your pants and figure things out. The TIICO website has some photos that help, but there is a lot that you just flat out have to experiment with, and a few cheesy little things that you have to fabricate to get it all in right.

Basically, it is great..............but if there are those of you out there that are not that familiar with working on all sorts of mechanical things, Look for a mechanic to install it...preferably one that has done it before. Personally, I would not touch one for less than $1500 labor.............it is agravating, and a lot of other things end up being replaced that do not come with the kit to give it that new car feel...............clutch, shift rod bushings, fuel lines...........if it is in a synchro various welding, etc............

----- Original Message ----- From: Data Services Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 3:51 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: tiico conversion vs. other I4 conversions

The Tiico kit is the one designed By Volkswagen, For Volkswagen, in SA to take care of the problem with the old wasserboxers they no longer wanted to repair or warranty. It is made to fit the hole with a Volkswagen product with little hassle to install. If you go with a subaru or other engine conversion, you are getting a combination of second hand suppliers with a mix of different parts and systems. Many of these do not allow for the angle the engine must be tipped in order to fit in the engine compartment of the Vanagon. Hence the array of modified engine covers and seat hinges to overcome this problem. I decided it was easier to stick with the Volkswagen designed product and went with the Tiico(who, althought Peter really knows his product, is simply an importer of this VW system). I got a brand new Golf motor, with a wiring setup designed to interface with the original (easy), a brand new Motronic control, and the engine came complete with the new rails,motor mounts and exhaust all installed. Other than a minor alternator mount issue, it has performed fairly flawlessly. Dave B 83 Tiico Westy 83WBX Westy

---- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Atkins" <wvveedub@NETSCAPE.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 9:14 AM Subject: tiico conversion vs. other I4 conversions