Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Jan 2002 21:40:15 -0800
From:         Claudio Cella <claudiocella@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Broken head stud
Comments: To: jk.pnosrv@JUNO.COM

James, sorry to hear about your breakdown. I had a similar "freaky" breakage on my 87 Vanagon GL several years ago. Similar circumstances, sudden loss of power and then stall. Engine oil contaminated coolant and coolant contaminated engine oil. Had the van towed home. One of the left bank rear cylinder studs sheared off flush with top of cylinder head. Pulled head and eventually was able to pull broken stud out. That stud was a bear to pull. Finally had to pull piston and barrell off to get better access to problem stud. At the end used some gentle heat and stud extractor to extract. That was the first time i had pulled the head off the van. On the upside i guess i learned a lot about Vanagon engines during this particular experience. I did this work myself as i have a garage and a respectable assortment of tools. What was of great help was the fact we could get by without a second vehicle for a short while. This enable me to work at it without a deadline. I never secured a quote to repair problem but i would think that the $ 900 CDN figure would be close. Claudio Cella 87 Vanagon GL 90 Jetta TD ----- Original Message ----- From: "James Karukas" <jk.pnosrv@JUNO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 8:10 PM Subject: Re: Broken head stud