Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Jan 2002 23:01:42 -0800
From:         Aaron Robinson <kleinboy@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Lurch at 2900 Update...and help setting timing

I wrote in a while ago about a lurch at 2900 RPM. The cap and rotor may have been the problem since it looked like the center pin that comes from the top of the cap had worn past where it would have been contacting the rotor (but why lurching always at 2900rpm?). I would assume it would have to be arcing across the gap...is that possible? Well all I know is that the results are good. I haven't had it lurch again and it starts up and idles smoothly right away vs. jumping around a bit for a few seconds before.

After lots of suggestions and reading the archives here's what I did;

1) Clean Grounds 2) Put in new Spark plug wires (old ones were loose a bit on the plugs and very old) 3) Looked at the AFM but even though it had grooves, it didn't look bad so I just left it. 4) Replaced the cap and rotor. 5) New O2 sensor 6) 1/4 turn to left of idle adj. to set idle to 900.

I do have the hot-start problem now though.... What happens is I drive around and park. Van starts/runs fine to there. Then I come out a while later (15 minutes to a couple of hours) and the van turns over very quickly (faster seeming than normal), but doesn't even try to catch. The exhaust smells like gas and I leave it for 15-45 minutes and come back and it will usually start, but with a bit of difficulty...I have to use the gas pedal.

I am thinking it would be good to set the timing back to spec. I've never done it for ANY car and don't know how, so I adjusted the idle per bentley (without timing set). Could somebody give me a basic (but detailed) guide for setting timing...I know it sounds easy, but I want to make sure I do it right. Also, would it be good to replace the temp2 sensor? Any other things I should look for?

Thanks! Aaron

'85 Vanagon GL (Digijet) 260,000 miles