Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jan 2002 22:09:42 +0800
From:         VW Caravelle <waw7447@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: tiico conversion vs. other I4 conversions, ?GTI vanagon
Comments: cc: andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ

">I think that's 2.6 liter. Anyway, a SA VW dealer called Shelley's in >Port Elizabeth offered me a plug-&-play kit at one stage. Engine, >5-speed trans, computer etc ready to install & go. > >Don't have their price or e-mail address on hand, but if you want it, >p-mail me in a day or two and I'll dig it out for you."

I would be interested to have the info, thanks.

To all listers,

I am new to the list and would appreciate some help. I live in Malaysia and 3 months ago purchased a 1984 VW Caravelle with the 1.9L waterboxer engine and 5 speed manual transmission. It has the 7 seater seating configuration with armrests all round. By the way, we drive on the left here, so its a RHD van. I had been searching around for a suitable van for a while and was seriously looking at the Toyota Masterace but after I test drove this Caravelle I was hooked as it is better in many respects especially handling and roadholding. I plan to improve it in areas i feel are not to my satisfaction. Having driven it for 3-4 months now, I have firm ideas on what i wish to do and would appreciate any advice!

1. The engine sounds good, has good torque but lacks outright power. Having looked at various postings on the net to be frank I am frightened that the engine can fail at any time! The Caravelle isnt exactly common here and parts are difficult and when available expensive. I fancied the Audi in line 5 as an alternative but all the postings here seem to suggest that a Tiico conversion with a VW I4 as the most sensible. In Malaysia, its easier to get hold off an Audi I5 then a VW I4 secondhand. Does anyone do a COMPLETE Audi I5 conversion kit? I am not looking for very fast top speeds but more on snappy GTI like acceleration. Please advise me before I jump in!

2. The dampers and bushes need replacing. I note that fast german auto stocks a Bilstein shock and damper kit. Is this the best to go for? Anyone aware of any alternatives. Again, aim is to try and get a GTI like handling van!....if possible.

3. This van has no power steering. Anyone in countries with RHD vehicles know where I can get a second hand COMPLETE system to convert my van i.e pump, hoses, rack, etc.??? This is a high priority and I would appreciate help here.

4. The water temp guage and clock are kaput. I would like to install a rev counter instead. Can anyone help me source the necessary? I also need the column switches for indicators and wiper as well as the plastic shroud for the steering column. The ones on mine were replaced at some point with Golf items ( I think).

5. The brakes arent exactly confidence inspiring even after I replaced the servo unit (leaking), pads, shoes and rear drums. Anyone has any experience on brake upgrades? I spotted three kits on the net from Fast Forward, Vanagain and MSDS with varying prices and would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience on these conversions.

6. Finally, did these vans ever come with a large sunroof? If so, any idea where I can get the parts to convert my van?

Sory for being long winded but would appreciate help.

Azani