Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jan 2002 13:23:57 -0400
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <MSTEBBIN@MSVU1.MSVU.CA>
Subject:      Re: Shipping a van to and from Europe for a vacation
Comments: To: 80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>

As they say: Been-there-done-that (BTDT). Check the archives for http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi- bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0009B&L=vanagon&P=R6423 for most of what I have to say on this topic.

If you want other trip reports of our wanderings through the Middle East search for everything written by stebbins@aucegypt.edu from August 2000 AND mstebbins@hotmail.com from July 2000.

Back to your questions: I used Wallenius Wilhelmsen, Halifax office Ph # 1-902-425-2873 http://www.2wglobal.com/ This is a RORO service (roll-on-roll-off) your only other option is a container.

You will also have to get Insurance for Europe, I used MotorcycleExpress http://www.motorcycleexpress.com/express/home.asp don't be put off by the motor-cycle stuff, they do cars/vans too.

but MotoEuropa http://www.ideamerge.com/motoeuropa/buying/chapter/

or AAA can set you up. Insurance is NOT cheap.

I do believe (I live in Halifax) that if a car is 15 years or older, then you can bring the car back to Canada - no questions asked. For newer cars there ARE questions asked, but check with CDN customs.

The idea of buying a van overseas (not just europe) etc. is partly a simple matter of economics, but the real PITA is finding a reliable van and how much of your vacation will be chewed up looking for a van or getting the van into shape for your trip. At least you know YOUR current van. Depending on how much travel you plan to do, I'd suggest a K&N filter, and the Pertronix ignition. These will cut down on your need to halt your vacation for tune-ups. I put CDN$ 3,500 into my van prior to departure.

If you give me your Phone #, I'll call you on my (free) web-phone and we can chat about it. Good luck, Malcolm