Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Jan 2002 23:06:10 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Transco oil filter system
Comments: To: developtrust@home.com

I've got my oil cooler mounted in my engine compartment. Ever body said it would cause the engine to overheat. They were wrong! Its been in there since the 110 degree days of July heat and it lowered my engine oil temp by 40 degrees, didn't effect my cylinder head temp, or oil pressure at all. Every guru on the list type2 and vanagon said I was crazy. Well I'm crazy happy. I just made sure that I had 1/2" flow lines so it didn't impair the volume. I'm not opposed to experimenting and I didn't advocate your installing a new oil pump. Your oil system has a bypass valve and when you have a clogged up filter, clogged up oil cooler it just by passes the oil back to the oil pan that doesn't go to your oil galleries. If your filter doesn't pass enough volume the bypass valve (little spring / plunger assembly) thinks its clogged up and partially bypasses it or completely bypasses it back to the oil pan. I've done some comparisons and the Mahle filter has a check valve that keeps sludge in the filter from backing into the oil system when you shut down your engine. Many other filters don't have this check valve. I got 145K out of my first engine and I expect to get the same out of my current engine, about ten years of driving. With the installation of my oil cooler I had my answer in 30 minutes, I'm just not willing to wait two years to have a definitive answer to an upgrade. However if the Transco filter doesn't pass enough volume I'd know by the oil temp, head temp and possibly I'd get a different reading on oil pressure. Since I'm monitoring these things I'd have a pretty good idea of what was going on so I could make an educated decision

Stan

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002 20:21:56 -0800 "developtrust" <developtrust@home.com> writes: > Stan, > > Personally I think skepticism is healthy and needed, especially > with > unproven things. I also think new ventures to explore better options > is > worthwhile. With engines that are becoming rare, every advantage for > longer > life is worth exploring. If a better oil pump is meaningful then if > mine > goes I want that option, but I'm not about to replace a working pump > just > for the sake of improvement per se. Even so, if Transco says change > oil > every 10K miles I may do it at 5K or so unless oil tests dictate > otherwise. > > Usually, you get what you pay for. Maybe I'm just a perfectionist > but I like > machines that are well maintained with top of the line improvements. > Easy > to do things like quad plugs, K & N filters or Transco oil filters > are easy > to do. Changing an oil pump or the full Lilly or even an engine swap > are way > out there for me to even consider. But if my engine ever goes I will > look at > a VR6 or a balanced performance engine like the one's James Lutz > rebuilds > and balances in Portland, Oregon. > > Until then small improvements appeal to me. The worst that can > happen is I > may lose a few hundred dollars. > > Thanks for your interest and continuing cautious perspective. > > William Polowniak > 1989 Vanagon GL > 1988 Mercedes 300 SE > > > > I've already got a set of very tight Porsche oil pump gears in my > pump. > > It has no problem giving me 100 PSI with 20/50 oil when the engine > starts > > up cold. > > I'm just saying that the Mahle filters are a known entity and the > Transco > > are an unknown. > > I'm running Air Cooled and you're running Water cooled and > although they > > are both VW label they are two complete different animals since > the air > > cooled gets a great deal of its cooling via the oil system. > > I'm sure the Transco system is a quality product. > > With the heat scenario on Air Cooled engines I'd just hesitate to > try for > > longer oil change intervals than 3000 miles even with my high > volume oil > > cooler. > > I buy Penzoil 20/50 for $16.79 a case of twelve from Sams and > Mahle > > filters four at a time from Bus Depo for $3.95 and I'm only > driving 12K > > per year...... so you see why I question 80$ that will take me > three to > > five years to justify. > > > > Stan > > > > On Fri, 4 Jan 2002 17:26:30 -0800 "developtrust" > <developtrust@home.com> > > writes: > > > From what you say you imply that the Transco filter restricts > oil > > > pressure & > > > flow. Is that why Stuart MacMillan installed a "high volume > Mahle > > > oil pump?" > > > > > > From what I know replacing an oil pump is a labor intensive > job. > > > > > > Curious, > > > William Polowniak > > > 1989 Vanagon GL > > > 1988 Mercedes 300 SE > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________ > > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! > > Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! > > Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: > > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/. > > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.