Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Jan 2002 22:13:05 -0800
From:         Jim Ellis <ellisjames@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      SYNCHRO-ScottsdaleAZ-OK-Who nabbed it?

Jim Ellis comes out of lurking again <oh joy!>:

OK, I have teeter-tottered for years dreaming of owning a SynchroWesty. Silly reasons like Breeding the Kids, the Economy, my stagnant career, maintaining a marriage for more that three years in a row, the usual twenty thousand dollars for a 12 year old vehicle with 150,000 miles on the clock and a million other 'dumb' excuses have held me back. Which leads me to today's story: I was at a Buick dealership today checking out a landbarge '94 Estate wagon with the Corvette motor. =) Quickly decided that was not what I wanted for the price that they offered. =( Mentioned to the sales manager that what I really was trolling for was one of those VW Vanagons with the 4 wheel drive. You know the camper type... The guy stares at me slack jawed and then explains.

Last month (December, 2001) someone traded that exact thing in on a Buick. '90-'91 SynchroWesty. They had no idea what they had and "appraised" it at $9,000. Mr. Manager said that all of the sales staff in the Monday AM meeting laughed appauled that the appraiser gave it that high of a price. They priced it at $9k and plopped it on the internet. BAM! sold to the first person who called followed by no less than 30 other calls that same day. The dealership realized that they had misjudged the "white elephant".

Who from New York paid $9,000.00 for a dry Arizona full Westfalia Synchro and flew out and drove it home from Pitre Buick in Scottsdale, AZ? If true, it must have been the one day that I didn't check the ads. I think that I'm going to quietly cry for a nanosecond and move on with life. Let me put the word out that if anyone else has another lowmilage full westy bada** mechanically creampuff Synchro for $9,000 please send me an email. Consideration given for a '67 SO42 Westy from hell and a '68 Puck trailer. -Ellis Phoenix,AZ