Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Jan 2002 20:23:12 -0500
From:         Phil Menchions <tassie@E-STELLA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Anyone have Audi 5000 lugbolts?
Comments: To: vgonman@EARTHLINK.NET

> I just got finished fitting the longer rear studs (Thanks Ben!) to mount > my Audi rims, and all I need now are the replacement bolts up front. If I > wanted to get them new, I'd be raped in the wallet, so... does anyone have > 10 that they'd be willing to part with? > > Thanks in advance! > > Sean B. > '90 V'gon, "Happy Bus", pseudo Wolfy

I'm doing the conversion to the Audi Turbo rims, as well. I picked up some used Audi lugbolts for the front wheels for a buck apiece. They weren't hard to come by, even here, where Audis are pretty scarce.

What I've found is that although they are longer than the stock Vanagon lugbolt by 8mm, they do not have as much "bite" as the Vanagon bolt does through the original steel wheels.

When you consider that the Audi rim is thicker than the steel Vanagon rim and that you have to use 8 to 10mm spacers to maintain the correct offset you actually have less thread area for penetration.

In fact, I counted 5 revolutions of the Audi bolts through the alloy rims before they came tight compared to 9 turns for the Vanagon lugbolts through the steel wheels. I used 9mm spacers when mounting the Audi rims.

According to Ben, VW recommends 7.5 turns of the lugbolts. There is a possibility that certain Mercedes lugbolts may fit the bill better. Is anybody using these Mercedes bolts? If so, what year and model are they from? It would be helpful to know their length ( through the business end that is ).

Phil '89 2wd Westy Torbay, NF Canada