Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Jan 2002 22:12:30 -0800
From:         developtrust <developtrust@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Grinding into Secong Gear when Cold
Comments: To: Brad Estergaard <bestergaard@SHAW.CA>

There are two things you can do. Lubricate your shift linkage and change your transmission gear oil and replace it with Synthetic gear oil.

I just lubricated and adjusted my shift linkage on my van. This helped a lot. I also changed my transmission gear oil and replaced it with Red Line MT 90. This made an even more positive improvement. I'm glad I changed my tranny oil as it was filthy.

Try both these things first. And crawl under there to inspect your shift linkage. And while you are under there check all the nuts and bolts you see to make sure everything is tight. My clutch was so loose a week after I bought my van that the bolts actually popped right out and I could not shift at all. I freaked out but it took only 5 minutes for my mechanic to fix. (Fortunately, I had an appointment that day to do other needed work revealed by a buyers diagnostic I had done.)

I hope it is nothing more serious. Please let us know the results of what you do. You might just be low on gear oil and also dirty to boot. Let's hope that is your only problem.

William Polowniak 1989 Vanagon GL 1988 Mercedes 300 SE