Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Jan 2002 23:29:53 -0800
From:         Wayne Hagan <waynehagan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      The van in snow

I have a '91 Syncro Westy, you know, 5500 lbs., rear differential lock, Goodrich AT tires, good traction stuff. This bus has demonstrated amazing traction, the only vehicle moving on our street in a record storm 4 years ago, pulling a band new 4-runner out of a snow bank that I had no problem with, etc... except one thing... IMHO all vans suck compared to cars in directional stability. If the van gets into tail spinning on ice, kiss it good bye. I would take my Audi or Jetta any day running at highway speeds over black ice, the van will tail spin and roll way before a car will. A fellow Auto Designer at work explained it this way, what's going to fly better through the air, (aerodynamics aside) an arrow or a brick? Interestingly enough, he brought this up because he was test driving a Jetta over a Fox and liked the Fox better for it's directional stability (i.e. center of gravity more forward). Personally I never heard anyone talk about directional stability this way. My coveted Syncro when it hit a small patch of ice at slow speed started a tail spin in a gradual turn that my car never did. Traction (studs are the only way to really deal with ice) and power take a back seat to momentum and center of gravity on highly slippery surfaces or high speeds on moderately slippery surfaces. Think of it this way, all those studies about roll overs in SUV's, its all about the basic physics of lever arms and coefficients of friction and centers of gravity (politics aside). A car going into a tail spin is essentially very like a sideways rollover when ice is involved (actually hydroplaning at this time) because the same forces come into effect. Yak Yak Yak.... my second rant FWIW. Some of you science oriented folks help me out here.