Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Jan 2002 23:48:50 -0600
From:         Erikson-Coyne <erikoyne@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Fuel Tank Down and Out...Next?

I dropped the fuel tank on my Westy last week to resolve a sludge problem. It was a tedious task - on the street, under the Vanagon, in below freezing temps - but doable thanks to my new pair of Bus Depot scissor jacks (+ usual ramps) and list member Jere Hawn's very good step-by-step directions. I will be replacing lines, grommets and such and have some questions:

1) any thoughts on best ways to flush crud out of a fuel tank. The exterior of the fuel tank looks good - no sign of rust. The inside is a mystery. The interior baffles appear to restrict vigorous sloshing/rinsing action. I'm doing it by hand and after my inital efforts I'm getting nothing crud-like to come out. Sloshing produces a brief full flow at the supply outlet then a dribble then nothing. A coat hanger wire reamed into the supply outlet produces the same results.

2) does that crossover vent tube really sit where I found it - between the heating duct and the body - or has a PO redesigned the layout? It seems too high to pop the ends into the top of the tank from that position. Also, I can't figure out how to remove it to install the new one. Do I have to loosen or remove the heater duct?

3) the secondary vent line - the thin tubing (ID 5mm/OD 7mm) which attaches to valves on the top of each of the fuel expansion plastic canisters in the wheel wells was brittle and cracked. The FLAPS guy didn't have anything like that line, said it was dealer-only. I plan to replace with hardware store polyvinyl tubing - like what supplies your typical refridgerator ice cube maker. As far as I know it only carries fumes. OK or should I use thicker (braided) 5mm fuel line?

4) the pair of lines from the bottom of the expansion canisters are a combination of braided fuel line then metal tube then braided line. I guess this design is to protect the lines in the wheel well area from tire-thrown objects or for safety if that bad guy in Ben Hur brings up his barbed-wheel chariot alongside. For each cannister, one tube has a 45 degree bend, the other has a 90 degree bend, at the end. After completely disassembling tank/line/tube for cleaning, I forgot which tube goes where. Which tube goes into the crossover vent and which goes into the tube built into the edge of the fuel tank. Bentley does not address this issue. Is it immaterial?

5) while the tank, is out is there anything else I should attend to in that area?

Many thanks as always

Tom in KCMO (wishing Santa had brought me a heated garage) 82 Westy