Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Jan 2002 19:38:03 -0800
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clutch slave cylinder and leaking coolant
Comments: To: Peterson390@AOL.COM

Hi Eric,

Hey where did you end up in COld NY.? I'm in cold Rochester.

I just replaced the Clutch master Cyl. this weekend and had previously replaced the slave last August.... So they lag about 6 months apart. If one leaks the other is not too far. That is why they tell you to change both. Considering that you have already changed one 10K ago, I would not replace at this time until it leaks again in another 100K. Sure is a pain to bleed the air out of them.

Now for your coolant leak, it sure sounds like the head gasket. It would leak when the engine is hot and the aluminum has expanded. I think that is the start of it. And it is gradual from there. Get a shop to put a pressure test on the entire system. They will pump up to 20PSI and the leak will become apparant.

There are several great mechanics/shops around Rochester but ask around and there may be some shops where you are.

I had the heads replaced along with the head gaskets and it ran me around $2000 with brand new heads. I could not bring my own at this shop so they gauged me on the list price. I also got the clutch replaced since they had the engine out at the time. This happened on my 1st 89 Syncro Westy at about 110K miles.... just like they say on the list. If you are up to 125K I would suspect that it is the head gasket(s). Again you can do one at a time but you'll be coming back in about 6 months for the other side.

Cheers and good luck,

Joel 89 Syncro Westy Rochester NY.

--- Eric Peterson <Peterson390@AOL.COM> wrote: > 1989 Vanagon 2.1L 2-wheel drive 125k > > Hello all - I have two issues: > > Issue 1 - I have a leaking clutch slave cylinder and I am planning > on > replacing it. The clutch master cylinder was replaced 10k ago. I > have read > numerous posts on the archives emphasizing the importance of > replacing both > slave and master at the same time. My question is...is replacement > of both > master and slave at the same time only necessary when both have > numerous > miles on them? Since the master is relatively new (10k), I was > hoping I > didn't have to replace it. I know it is my risk, just asking. If > anyone has > replaced only one with the other being fairly new and has > information to pass > on, please do! > > Issue 2 - I recently completed a cross-country trip (approx. 5000k) > from > fairly warm northern CA to cold NY. I constantly checked my coolant > level > during the trip (every stop). The coolant level never went down. > Upon > arriving at my destination (Cold NY) I noticed the coolant level in > the > refill tank was maybe an inch lower than usual. The next day I > looked under > the engine and noticed a coolant leak. The leak was not bad, just > droplets > forming beneath the engine. There was no noticible loss of fluid > from the > refill tank during the time the van was sitting (3 days) so the > leak was not > bad while sitting. I thoroughly inspected the engine and could not > find any > leaks. I inspected the rear heat exchanger and found no leaks at > the valve. I > have not yet tested the expansion tank for cracks but will do so > eventually. > Today (still very cold) I looked underneath and...no leak, no > visible > droplets forming. I have researched the archives and understand > that the cold > weather could cause problems with hoses, clamps, shrinkage of head > gasket, > etc. I wish I could be more specific about where the leak is coming > from, but > I don't have the facilities to do a thorough inspection. Mechanic > is looking > at it tomorrow. Anyone have thoughts on this? If it was a head > gasket > problem, wouldn't the leak continue in cold weather while the van > was > sitting? My thanks to all that have replied to my earlier post and > apologies > for repeating myself.