Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Jan 2002 07:43:55 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Lowering a Vanagon

>H & R also sells lowering springs which will drop the height about an > extra half inch like the Carats. NOT recommended for heavy Westies as > many have already found out.

I sell a spring kit that drops the height to about the same as the Carats AND is designed to handle the weight of the campers. In fact they are specifically sold as springs for VW campers. They are made by Boge, the original supplier to VW, and are only available from The Bus Depot.

For those who want a slight improvement in look and handling without radically lowering their Vanagon or stiffening its ride, these are just the ticket. They lower the van by 45 mm compared to stock height, a smaller difference than with the H&R springs that others on the list have used. So they will lower the van slightly compared to a stock profile (a la Carat), giving it a slightly more squat look, but not enough to make it a "curb hugger" that wants to bottom out on every pothole. Also, they also are not quite as stiff as the H&R's (although they are sold as a performance spring and are a bit stiffer than stock). So while they do improve handling a bit, they don't stiffen the ride to the point of making it "bone jarring."

I have a set of them on my own '89 Westy. My motivation for installing them was to get rid of the really bad left-hand-lean that my Westy had with the worn out original springs (a common problem, since all of the kitchen gear and propane tank are on the left well, not to mention the driver). Since new springs are about $1500 from VW, these were the only affordable option that was at least close to stock. I hadn't put them on in order to change my van's handling or look, but after I did, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they improved both. Just enough, without going too far. Personally I wouldn't want my van any lower, or the suspension any stiffer, than with these springs. Any lower, and my South African mudflaps (which already hang just inches off the ground) would be scraping on every bump; any stiffer and my Vanagon would feel like a go cart. Incidentally, even with the new springs I did decide to augment one drivers side spring with a spring helper (inexpensively found at auto parts stores, often used on the rear of cars that will be pulling trailers) to eliminate a very small difference in height between drivers and passengers sides. It was not absolutely neccessary to do so, as the van was almost level without it anyway (it looked level but I discovered a small difference when measuring), but I know from experience that the drivers side tends to badly sag over time on a Westy, and wanted to make sure it was absolutely level to begin with.

The part number is 9878, and the price is $362 for a set of 4 with listmember discount. I am sold out at the moment but have another shipment hitting port in 2 weeks.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by Part # 1-866-BUS-DEPOT