Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Jan 2002 23:06:19 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: in dash MP3 player??

> My CD/ reciever has a jack on the front of it for "stereo aux.". I plan > to plug in my Ipod as soon as I get it and mount it onto the > lower dash somehow.

I think that's the way to go, especially if you have more than one vehicle. A while ago I picked up one of those hard-drive based portable MP3 players. (It holds something like 60 hours of music, in a unit that resembles, and is just slightly larger than, a Discman.) Then, recently, I picked up a couple of Aiwa indash CD receivers and a Radio Shack indash cassette receiver, all with aux input jacks on the front. The two Aiwas will go in my Westy and my Fiat Spider; the cheap cassette indash in my crew cab (which I use much less frequently). Then I can simply move an 80 hour collection of music from vehicle to vehicle by carrying this discman-sized MP3 player and plugging it into the front of whatever vehicle I'm in. No CD's or tapes to carry!

Incidentally, who needs car audio for their Vanagon and is on a severely limited budget, Radio Shack is going out of the car stereo business and most of what's left is about 50-70% off. For example, 6-1/2" speakers $15 (down from $50); the aforementioned cheapo detachable face cassette deck $29; detachable face CD (no input jack) $79; power amps half price; 3-way electronic crossover $15; etc. This isn't good hifi. Frankly it was never worth the original prices. But some of the models are better than stock, for practically free.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com