Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Jan 2002 20:35:41 -0800
From:         mike miller <mwmiller@CWNET.COM>
Subject:      FW: San Patricio Melaque: Jellyfish!

Remember I'm only forwarding this. Don't reply to me. I'm just as jealous as you are.

Mike

Jan 7th 2002 San Patricio Melaque Jalisco, Mexico

Greetings everyone—

Life in the little fishing village north of Puerto Vallarta was so pleasant, I feared if I remained another day I might never roll up my tent & move on to new adventures. Chalk this up to a gorgeous sweep of un-peopled beach bordered by coco palms with a lagoon at one end (full of colorful birds & the occasional crocodile). Throw in a small population of amusing international travelers with good stories & books to swap--including a handsome single French Canadian who concocted a divine shrimp pasta, taught me to play Euker, beat me at gin rummy often enough to keep it interesting, & offered space in his fridge!

If life in Melaque is not the idyllic existence of the fishing village, it offers other charms & amenities: internet cafes, fresh fruit smoothies, a plethora of good restaurants & markets just steps away from it’s little RV park on the beach front. (And for those so inclined, there’s a whorehouse full of transvestites rumored to sport stainless steel falsies—or so I am told by my pal Ed, a wild Irishman & racing sailmaker I met last year.)

Unfortunately, this time through, I am dwarfed here by huge RV’s & “fifth wheels” from Canada & the US. Later in the season--on my way home--van conversions, tent ampers, & Westfalias prevail, filling only a quarter of the available spaces. This is the Melaque I know & love.

So I’ll remain a few days more, then head up into the central highlands. There’s little peace here now, as I’m hemmed in on three sides. My nearest neighbor sprawls in a lounge chair, a cold cerveza clutched in his meaty fist, monitoring his crackling ship to shore radio & tallying the dorado & red snapper hooked by sunburnt sport fishermen two hundred miles to the south. When he intercepts a fisherman out of gas & drifting toward rocks, he heaves himself up & out of his lounge chair like a beached whale, grabs another cold cerveza, & hollers to all within earshot.

“Jee-zus! Some yahoo’s dead in the water again! Some guy named Bob sez he’s landed three big dorado. And there’s a shitload of jellyfish.”

Here, now, I am far younger than these RV’ers. Normally, I am younger than even the early retirees I find in RV parks along this stretch of coast, & since I look younger than my years & travel alone (!)(their exclamation, not mine) I am highly suspect. In self defense, I’ve learned to adopt a detached air. Rarely, a few of the older women are riendly; the husbands are another matter: they appear, as if by magic, to”help me set up”or add my carton of yogurt to the contents of their fridge.

But in general, I am regarded with disdain by these bewildered older RV wives, who find my presence unsettling. For this reason, & many others, I don’t often stay long in these big-rig RV parks. I’ve learned, also, to keep a low profile & reveal little of myself, my unconventional life, or my travel adventures—lest I am invited for cocktail hour & trotted out to perform like a trained seal. “This girl’s been to Peru, Daddy—all alone! Fancy that…Tell ‘em, honey.”

Today’s unseasonably hot, in keeping with this winter’s whacky weather worldwide. Even Melaque’s got jellyfish today, a rare occurence. (Locals swear by urine as the best remedy for painful jellyfish stings, but I prefer Tiger Balm)

It’s just too damn hot to do much of anything. I´m writing in the shelter of my large Kelty Sun Shade--& it’s so bright I struggle to locate my laptop’s cursor. Lo! A ten year old boy’s just appeared with a huge tray balanced atop his head--fresh baked flan topped with peach slices--to which I simply must succumb. Cursor be damned!

My Westy’s just purring along & a shot of WD-40 seems to have fixed my erratic speedometer. Once I´ve had my fill of Melaque´s fruit smoothies I´ll head south. The current plan is to follow the coast south all the way to Acapulco, then head inland.

¡Andele! Phaedra ’85 Westy “Basecamp” psavage@mexconnect.com

______________________________________________________ Read the Mexico Connect E-zine recently? http://www.mexconnect.com Sign up for your free Mexico Connect E-mail account at http://mail.mexconnect.com

------ End of Forwarded Message