Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jan 2002 00:31:58 -0800
From:         Patrick Harris <harrisvanagon@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Lowering a Vanagon
Comments: To: developtrust@home.com

William,

Sorry, this email is a bit aged. But, I don't have a digital photo of the van. But try and picture this. 81 Vanagon, plain jane.. nothing fancy, not a westy, not anything. Just a van. Two tone brown/tan. 14" steel wheels. Engine is wore to the ground. Main seal is shot to hell. Drinks as much oil as gas. Doesn't burn it, just leaks it... I guess anyways. Got the engine out and I'm slowly going through it. It's more hashed than I originally suspected. I'm doing a little extra to the engine to make it a little more "oofy". My brother, "the head man" is port and polishing and putting a 4 angle grind on new valves. New springs, etc etc. So I'm, in the mean time, have been stripping the body clean and ready to go and shoot it with primer. Repainting it Midnight metallic black with a Argent Metallic Silver stripe in the center channel that runs the length of the rig mid-height on the body. Limo tint black windows from the side windows back including the rear window. (Wa. state law requires at no more than 35% on the side front door windows and wing.

Interior *was* in great shape. All brown vinyl. However, that's being changed. I have the fabric, and waiting on a buddy to get done with his hot rod to get to my seats. I ordered through an old bug vendor that I went through when I rebuilt/restored my bugs I've owned. It's hard to explain, but if you've seen a 1997 VW Golf interior of this color, you'd understand. It's black with a blue and silver confetti look to it. All velour and directional. I might go with a charcoal headliner and carpet kit. However, I'm not to sure if it will look right. My 66 bug I had, it looked real trick. But, on that I used fabric from a 1994 Honda Accord. All black. Being it's a large rig, I don't want to over do the black, but I don't want it to look funny either. It may be just hit and miss, but I'll try a sample carpet patch to see what it looks like. Headliner will be a guess completely and hope it will look nice. Like to find a velour headliner for these rigs, but haven't yet. On bugs, it deadens the sound something else and gives it that very custom look and feel. But, can't argue with the versitility of vinyl. :)

Anyways, I have been looking at having some fun with the wheels and suspension. I have a friend that owns a local machine shop. I kind of played with the idea at first then he said that he might.. *might* be willing to give it a shot and change the bolt pattern on the drums and discs if I give him some old ones to plug around with. If it all passes on the load test on his press, than we're going to change it to a more popular bolt pattern such as 5 on 4 1/2 (Most older ford) or 5 on 4 3/4 (Most older GM). We're going to hold off until we find the right rims that look right. My other option is to take some rims I want down to Willamette Wheel in Porland, Or. and have them fill and re-drill the bolt pattern on the wheels. Boocoo dollars. Or, I can find some Camaro Rallies and have them redrilled to 5 on 112mm., or whatever it is on the vanagon, which is cheap. Plus I can dictate what width on the rim I want. I just don't know if I want chevy rims on my vw though. My friend has some on his 62 custom bug. Looks good. But, I want to lower it just enough to get that "hugged" look. Just to reduce the gap between the fender and the top of the tire. I'm working on getting a small electronic scrap book of the project together to put on a personal web site. I realize that it's not the first major Van project, but I hope it will be somewhat unique since I'm willing to go against the grain and do something different. Perhaps have a show-off rig or something. It's funny, this project started as a detail and tune-up to sell. Then had to change the starter. Ended up deciding to have fun since I hadn't had any bites. Yanked out the engine and tranny, gutted and stripped it. So, here I am. Figured to do something with it since it just sat. However, I'm having a fast and furious lesson on this injection. Not much upgradablity to it I've found. Maybe looking for info in the wrong place. If the cam, heads and pistons I'm using are going to work, I need to refine the fuel delivery... otherwise I'm at square one. But, that remains to be seen. I've yacked too much... sorry.

Cheers!!

Patrick Harris Longview, Washington 1981 Vanagon (Project "Bessie") 1987 Vanagon GL