Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jan 2002 17:26:30 -0500
From:         "Carrington, Tom" <TCarrington@RELITECH.COM>
Subject:      Re: Massive oil leak into cooling system!
Comments: To: Paul Cavanaugh <paul@PHONYEXPRESS.COM>

I agree with Steven. When the oil cooler goes bad, it allows oil to enter the cooling system. A new cooler and O-ring cost me about $150 the last time I needed to buy one.

Also, you should stop running the Van. The oil/water emulsion that you are churning up in the cooling system does a poor job of cooling the engine. Be sure to flush it several times with water and radiator cleaner before adding that expensive antifreeze!

TomC tcarrington@relitech.com http://volksweb.relitech.com http://checkerweb.relitech.com 85 VW Vanagon Crew Cab 82 VW Westy Diesel=>Gas Conversion 81 Checker A-11 (Taxi) 65 VW Notchback

-----Original Message----- From: Paul Cavanaugh [mailto:paul@PHONYEXPRESS.COM] Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 5:06 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Massive oil leak into cooling system!

1990 Vanagon Automatic Seeks Help!

I've got a terrible oil leak going into the cooling system somewhere inside the engine. As in somewhere between a pint and a quart of oil per mile!

The oil is coming out my cooling system overflow tank and onto the ground (and, of course, the oil level is going down as this happens).

I've got over 190,000 on this engine, with new heads & gaskets back at 88,000 miles.

Any suggestions for a possible cause & fix would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

Pictures of my VWs:

http://www.phonyexpress.com/images/VWs.jpg

-- '90 Vanagon (190k) '84 Vanagon (218k) '78 Microbus (175k)