Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Jan 2002 08:54:03 -0800
From:         Don & Christina Preston <betsy@UTAH-INTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Idle stabilizer

Late to the discussion, I know, but this is the one main problem I have with my van.

I've been running with my ISV disconnected for a few months because I could never get the idle to sit at 900rpm. With it disconnected, I have to rest my foot on the gas pedal for a minute of two on cold starts.

Now, with the ISV connected, my van will idle up to 3000rpm! If I pinch the tube going from the ISV to the AFM, then the idle returns to normal.

My van used to have power steering and A/C, but I have removed both. I'm wondering if maybe there is a fuse or relay somewhere in the van that used to control the PS or A/C that is causing this? I've noticed that having the IVS disconnected causes the van to run a good bit richer, which can't be good for a number of reasons ;-)

What I've replaced: Idle Stabilizer Valve (on top of the motor) All vacuum lines in the engine compartment Temp II sensor Ground Straps (also added another to the right head) O2 Sensor Throttle Positioning Switch (bottom of the AFM Hall Sender Unit (in distributor)

I pulled the Idle Stabilizer (switch? controller?) behind the rear-right tail light, and it looks good. But I may replace it anyway.

Any other ideas? Maybe we can figure this out before we all end up going broke replacing parts :-)

Thanks!

Don Preston Seattle, WA '87 Wolfy GL (ASI conv. in progress...) ~Betsy the Mp3 Bus~