Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:36:48 -0700
From:         Blake Thornton <thornton@MATH.UTAH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Soft lifters (was: clarify .006 on lifters)
Comments: To: Terry Kay <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET>

Terry,

I am continually confused by this oil additive business. Now, I thought the idea was to add a pint a bit before changine the oil because the MMO would get the gunk off the engine and the gunk would then accumulate in the filter.

So, if you put the MMO in for 3000 miles, then you might get too much gunk out and might fill up the oil filter.

Are you saying the if you keep the engine clean, then the MMO will slowly clean off the old gunk and keep new gunk from collecting? And, a pint of MMO will think the oil slightly. Is it a good idea to thin the oil and run it that way for 300 miles?

I've also heard others (Joel Walker I think) talk about dumping automatic transmission fluid into the oil for a small amount of time to also clean it out. And, many other have said this is a terrible thing to do.

I'm also convinced that MMO is good, but I'm not sure about the timetable. I dumped a pint in about 1000 miles ago and just changed my oil. I was actually starting to feel bad because I thought I let it go too long. I should probably check my lifters now and see if they are still soft.

Thanks, blake