Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Jan 2002 18:10:28 +0000
From:         "James T." <jboldway@INTCON.NET>
Subject:      Marvel Mysterie Oil & Synthetics

First time used should be about a week before you change your oil, then about a half quart or less per oil change. I did the MMO/Week oil change, another one month later, then switched to synthetic Mobil 1. Nothing's better. So I spend an extra $50-60/year in oil changes (I change it a lot). Lifters never clatter anymore. Cheap insurance. same true for people who use VW coolant. Fellow at VW shop told me he was USA rep on watercooled vanagone intro and was told to use VW coolant as other coolant can actually mess up fuel injection idle - something about sensor path and coolant flow producing a voltage difference between aluminum block and such. Whatever. Another $30/year in coolant (have slight leak in head gasket - don't care - car can "mark its spot")is again cheap insurance versus Sierra coolant or other type. Same thing with transaxle fluid - I now use Redline with my rebuilt tranny (Thanks, AA Tranny) and it shifts so much easier. If I don't have to beat the h*ll out of the shifter to try to get it in gear when it is in the single digit temperatures here in a Kansas Winter - don't you think things will last longer? Synthetic all the way! Here's a test to do - buy a quart of 10W-30 of your favorite brand and a quart of 1W-30 Mobil 1. So you are out $2.25 - you can still use the 10W-30 Mobil 1. Put both quarts in your freezer. Return the next day (or 6 beers later, whichever comes first). Shake the cans (better yet try to pour them). The 10W- 30 regular is like mole-asses, the 10W-30 Mobil 1 still flows. Which do you think provides better lubrication upon a very cold startup? What's your engine worth?

--------------------------------------------- This message was sent using Endymion MailMan. http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/