Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Jan 2002 18:57:26 +0000
From:         "James T." <jboldway@INTCON.NET>
Subject:      wasserleaker comments

At 04:19 PM 1/10/02 -0800, you wrote: >(have slight leak in head gasket - don't care - car can "mark its spot") > >This got my interest as I may have a slight leak in mine (not sure yet). >How long can it leak before you can't keep coolant in it?

Went by my local mechanic and saw two other vanagons in his shop. One air cooled, one wasserleaker. Wasserleaker had been "pissing" coolant for almost 3 years and owner wanted head gaskets replaced as the coolant on his garage made it slippery - and he has kids - guess they slipped and fell down too many times. Thought mine was waterpump for 2.5 years - was head gasket as part of leak. Looks like they can leak "forever." Worried about move (Was Boeing Engineer - my job ends Jan 25th and I will relocate to whereabouts unknown - whenever I get a new job.) Worried about massive coolant failure in middle of nowhere. I suggest driving for maximum of 2 hours, then when pulling off highway allowing engine to run/cool for about 3 minutes. Keep tank replenished - don't allow air to get in!

>Dose leaking hurt anything if it always runs cool and has a full reserve?

Doesn't seem so so far.

>Does the coolant leak into the oil or just out?

On mine just out. Well, not always - after stop after driving hard and if I try to restart within 5 min I get a little bit of hydro-lock as engine is hard to turn over as coolant must be in one combustion chamber.

>In other words can you drive with cofidence?

Not really, but it seems to keep going. Murphy (whom I want to track down and beat up) seems to say it will fail when I move. If I get a relocation bonus I will spend it on a new longblock as my 1.9L motor has 198K on original heads/head gaskets. > >I really appreciate your response in advance. >Thanks >Steve Johnson >' 91 Carat > >

--------------------------------------------- This message was sent using Endymion MailMan. http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/