Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Jan 2002 08:39:55 -0600
From:         Chris Stann <ChrisS@INFORMS.COM>
Subject:      Re: A Snow Story (Whoa-vanagon!!!) and Lessons Learned
Comments: To: adhall@SEANET.COM

>You don't want to do this, believe me: If, perchance, you lock up the >rear wheels, the vehicle will spin around. And if you happen to be moving >at any speed, the spin will be sudden and violent. But if you to decide >to try it anyway, be sure to hold in that little button on the end of the >brake handle so that you can release it quickly when all hell breaks >loose.

You're rear end will come around but only if you are on a curve or the road has a pronounced crown. If you are in a straight line and the road has little or crown the vehicle will remain straight. Why? It has to do with angle of momentum as it relates to angle of the force resulting from rear brake application. The resulting vector, while traveling in a straight line, is more or less perpendicular to your direction of travel.

Obligatory FRIDAY comment:

I've tested this on many occasions. A combination of long nights delivering pizzas, boredom and rain. "Ugh, sir, that's our new SCRAMBLED pizza. You like?"

Chris, '85 Westy. Usual disclaimers apply.