Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:23:15 EST
From:         Steve Lashley <ThingGuy@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sprinter James Cook

In a message dated 1/10/02 7:33:57 AM, nemobuscaptain@YAHOO.COM writes:

<< Another manufacturer to bring van campers to the US according to reports. >>

I think I will believe it when I see it.

Currently the Sprinter is assembled here to fill a contract with FedEx. The latest I've heard is that Dodge will be selling these in the future since Dodge has dealers that can service this size of truck. I think their current capacity to assemble these is limited, and they are looking to build a plant to produce many more.

The Sprinter has been tossed around several times between Mercedes, Freightliner and Dodge. I would bet that it will change again.

It would be great to see the James Cook here. Even cooler if Westfalia built a plant to produce them. We will not see the same James Cook model sold in the US. Our Westfalias are a little bit different since the electrical plumbing and propane systems need to meet US codes and standards.

If you want a Sprinter based camper you don't need to wait until 2003. The Sprinter is available now from Freightliner and I can sell you a complete camping package for around $10,000. I also know of at least one company that is already developing a Sprinter camper here in the US.

The Marco Polo is built on the Vito chassis and is front wheel drive like the EuroVan. Why not just buy a EuroVan Weekender, or the EuroVan Winnebago Camper? Too bad the EuroVan isn't available with the 5 speed and TDI like in Europe.

I'm am not aware of any plans for Mercedes to offer the Vito here.

Steve Lashley SKL Enterprises Inc. http://EuroCampers.com 636-797-9015 636-789-2127 fax