Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Jan 2002 01:59:44 EST
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: OT-VW bug Hum V kit
Comments: To: wilden1@JUNO.COM

<< Preston Reynolds of Preston State Bank invented the credit card. >>

Stan, I was watching the History of Money recently on the Histaory Channel. They say tyhe oil companies invented the credit card. But the first non-gas card was invented by Bank of America of San Francisco in the form called BankAmericard later charged to VISA.

<<< In 1960 Vanguard Corporation in Dallas Texas produced a vehicle calledthe Mustang. I can't explain why Ford wound up using the name other than Vanguard just didn't trademark register it. >>

Who knows? I used to own a 1978 Sterling built by California Component Cars in San Leandro CA. (co. resold a half dozen times - now in Oregon as Solid Sterling). Known in the UK as Nova and later copied into the Sebring & Cimbria SS by former employees of CCC. Rover had no trouble using the Sterling name on it's now defunct BMC built version of the Acura Legend. Chrysler had no trouble using the Sebring name and neither did the kitcar builder. Just a another version of badge engineering.

My last jab is at the qualkity of the Bricklin. Malcolm Bricklin later made infamous for the Yugo imports ooriginally wanted this can to be mid-engined. It turned out to be a poor copy of the Pontiac Arrow with gullwing doors, pop-up headlights and Musang direvtrain. I have seen a half dozen of these guys over the years in my immediate vicinity. I have yet to find one which did not have a leaky roof (doors). Most were apparently subjected to the abuse of indifferent owners. I wonder why they all seem to hate having bought it. Every single one I have seen had a Ford 351 (C & W).

BenT