Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Jan 2002 13:41:09 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Live Radio Broadcast from Bus Depot this Friday!
Comments: To: Blake Thornton <thornton@MATH.UTAH.EDU>

> How about a streaming media web address for us to hear?

I had been hoping for that. WMMR used to simulcast their station on their website. But the record industry pretty much put a stop to many music radio stations doing that, by demanding that they pay them royalties (beyond what they already pay to broadcast the music on-air) if they were also putting the station on the internet. Of course, the record industry wanted mega-bucks, claiming that there are millions of people on the internet (even though few would actually listen to the simulcasts), whereas the radio stations realized that simulcasting their broadcasts over the web really generated little additional revenue (since most people within the stations' market have a radio, and most people outside of their market are not their local advertisers' target audiences). So most of them just stopped simulcasting their broadcasts (including WMMR). Just one more thing to thank the entertainment industry for - along with the demise of Napster, the existence of Macrovision and other copy-jammers that degrade audio/video performance, the royalties charged on blank audio CD-R's used to record music you already own, their 10 year battle to have the VCR declared illegal, their ongoing battle against TiVo, etc. etc. etc. When I used to work in a stereo store, the RIAA even threatened to sue us if we played any of the radios in our store without lining their pockets them first, claiming that it amounted to an "unlicensed public performance." ("Can I listen to that stereo receiver before I buy it?" "No sir, that would be illegal.")

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com