Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:39:40 -0500
From:         Carol Sussman <sussman@SNIP.NET>
Subject:      Re: Generation Span of the list

Learned to drive a shift in a)1968 Mustang and b) 1968 Beetle. Confirmed top speed in the Bug was 87mph. This was going down the west side of the Rocky Mountains, pedal floored, with a tailwind. Made the boyfriend who owned the car very nervous. No VW in my life until the '89 2.1 L Westfalia purchased two years ago. Decided I was too old to continue camping in vehicles I couldn't stand up in. (But not yet so old that when I awake aching I cannot stand up!) Planned another extended spring New England ramble in the commodious Westie. Still haven't departed but (I promise David) this year for sure. Previous adventures in wrenchturning masochism and occasional apex ecstacy included 1968 MGB-GT run as stock and 1971 MGB run as race-prep (because the Lucas spawned accessory systems were FUBAR to get through inspection & be street-legal. "Of course the turn signal lever operates the radio. The radio knob activates the headlights. It's a British car.") Not realizing that Scandinavians only look stolid, I then got a 1984 Saab 900. All Saab engineers went to pub-based design conferences with the Brits. And the electrical engineers for Volvo joined them. I only had the one Saab; I still miss it. You can too make bootleg turns in a fwd car. But rwd is more fun. Owned a couple of 240 series Volvos; current daily driver is a 1981 wagon (the dogmobile). I still have British fantasies. I'm 53.

Carol S Sussman 'Not a mechanic; just a driver with a toolbox.'