Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:08:56 -0500
From:         "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Overhaul an 81 air cooled

The question is yes, but no.

A similar question would be; "is it possible to take a bath without getting undressed?" The answer is yes, it is possible, but it would be a pain in the behind and a waste of time.

If you have all your sh*t together in advance, you can have the motor out of an 81 vanagon in about 30 minutes, with time to drink one beer. Once it is out, top end is a breeze, another 60 minutes to have all the top end off. Reassembly and install is roughly 3-4 hours to reassemble properly, and about 60 minutes to re-install.

Back in the old days, we used to race (I worked in a VW/Porsche shop) to see who could pull a bug motor completely, put it back in and have it started. Earl and Gary (two guys at the shop), NO LIE, had it down to 10 minutes.

From historic, walkable Mount Olive, NC,

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Business: www.bulley-hewlett.com Alliance: www.ntara.com Home: www.MountOliveNC.info