Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:04:55 -0500
From:         Tom Shiels <shiels.t.w@COGECO.CA>
Subject:      Re: 85GL Acting Wierd........
Comments: cc: Chad G <groch@WORLDCHAT.COM>

Chad a few comments that may help: 1) If the wire to the fuel pump shorted to the chassis it is not surprising that the relay got fried - it would be a direct short of the 12 volts to ground through the relay. 2) The fuel pump relay is controlled from your ECU. The ECU supplies the ground connection when it turns ON the pump. It is possible that the relay blow up affected the ECU but I suspect that you just lost the ground connection from the ECU to your fuel pump relay - possible the ECU is not grounded very well. Switching the ECU may have just re-established the ground. 3) It would be interesting to see what happens when you put the original ECU back in.

Good luck, Tom 84 1.9L Westy