Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:57:43 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vgon Crash Tests
Comments: To: geiser@EXECPC.COM

Well folks let me give you some encouragement. I've been going to wrecking yards around Dallas Texas and a hundred mile radius for seven years and I've never seen a Vanagon that was there because of body damage. I've never seen a Vanagon that did not have a good front clip, rear clip etc. With Vanagons it tends to be a rod sticking through the Waser Boxer crank case that puts them there. With the air cooled its mostly long term neglect that puts them there. I can only suggest that we Vanagon / Westy drivers are careful drivers and its pretty hard to get into much trouble when you are dealing with great visibility, good brakes and restrictive horsepower. I would also think that anyone would want to avoid collision with a large loaf shaped vehicle like the Vanagon, they must be awesome when viewed from the drivers seat of a Honda Civic.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:36:56 -0600 Mary Beth and Chris Geiser <geiser@EXECPC.COM> writes: > Once again, I think the biggest drawback to the vanagon is the > physical > distance to the object in front of you. Just the physics of an > accident: if > you are two feet from the object drastically slowing your van down, > you've > got to go from 50mph to 0mph in about two feet... with the nose of > something > in front of you (ie Volvo), that crumple zone allows you to > decelerate your > body over a 4-5 foot space - I'm no math major, but that's a heck of > a lot > less force transmitted to your seatbelt, steering wheel, or whatever > else is > slowing you down. Yes there are advantages to being up higher and > in a > larger / heavier van, and there's something to be said for driving a > diesel > that doesn't go faster than 55, but don't kid yourself about that > impact. > The people in the back may decelerate much nicer, but driver and > front > passenger better be tied down well. > Movin' nice and slow, > Chris > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On > Behalf > > Of Aristotle Sagan > > Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 6:30 PM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Re: Vgon Crash Tests > > > > > > No Bill... don't hit anything in that Toyota... but remember there > iIS a > > full frame underneath it. You would do OK.... It's just not worth > the risk > > testing this theory though. > > > > > > tim in SJ. > > > > > > >yeouch. yeah, vanagon it is. i worry more now about an accident > in our > > >pickemup truck. > > > > > >(muttering off...teeth in the dash...ugh) > > > > > >bill > > >'87 syncro westfalia > > >santa cruz, ca. > > > > > >laughing out loud at your return address, matthew. > > > > > > _________________________________________________________________ > > MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: > > http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx > > > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.