Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jan 2002 10:06:32 -0500
From:         Tim Hannink <tjhannink@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Simple starting problem?

I found that if I unplugged the temp2 sensor connector, the van would start right away. Then I would shut it off, re-connect the sensor, restart and be on my way. That way you can be positive that the sensor is the problem.

Tim Hannink Winter Park, Florida Goldibox - 1987 Vanagon Camper, Wolfsburg Edition http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/

-----Original Message----- From: John Baker [SMTP:abusguy2@SPRINGMAIL.COM] Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 9:55 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Simple starting problem?

Les, I am currently having the EXACT same problem with my 1.9 wbx. Last week the consensus of the list thought I probably have a bad Temp II sensor. Here is my limited understanding of the function: This is a sensor found in the thrmostat housing that "tells" the ECU when the engine is warm or cold. If it reads cold, it increases fuel into the injectors at start up because a cold engine needs more gas to start, and if it is warm it does not send as much fuel to the injectors. If the sensor is bad and reads "Cold engine" when the engine is actually warm, it will "send" too much fuel to the injectors at start up, thus your flooding problem. Those of you who know more about this PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, this is what I have gathered mostly from reading the archives. Anyway, I have discovered a way to help with those warm starts until I can get around to replacing that sensor. When your engine is warm, turn the key "on" (injectors injecting) but don't engage the starter, and wait about 15 seconds in this position before turning the motor over. After this time, I turn and give one little push on the accelator pedal as I engage the starter and it generally fires right up! I hope I am mostly correct in my description and that this little trick helps you cope until you get your problem fixed. Peace, John Baker