Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:34:49 EST
From:         Steven Denis <NotaJeep@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Yer torquin me....<grin>

In a message dated 1/17/02 5:46:56 PM Eastern Standard Time, mdlind@rica.net writes:

<< Having the same torque at the flywheel at any given road speed would not translate into having the same torque at the wheels with two differently geared transmissions. >> OK I LIED..

Here's the deal..it takes "X" hp to drive the car on a level road with no head wind..Yes? Let's say 50 mph (breakneck in a diesel westy) takes 5 HP...IF the engine can develop that 5 hp though a combination of available torque and rotational speed then the van maintains speed...Now it may take ALL the torque that the engine can produce at the "50 mph" rpm..fine..don't plan on passing..you, friend, have hit terminal velocity under those conditons...fine..IF you are PAST the rpm of max torque then you can gear UP and accelerate! it's known as "torque back" (spent many an uphill mile with my eyes glued to the tach on a 220 Cummins so I knew when to shift UP to make the pass) So if you are BELOW the rpm of max torque you need to speed up the engine (drop a gear..or six) and get to a level of torque that is greater then the requirement for level flight...Are we together here?..FINE..this is REALLY REALLY noticeable on a petrol engine..the torque curve looks like a hill..climbs and drops off steeply..the DIESEL torque curve is a slight bowing of a horizontal line. FINE you say..but what about my "breaker bar"?..the higher geared tranny will cause me slower acceleration!.. Well..yes..sort of..the torque is flat, the frictional and inertial forces are linear but the AIR DRAG goes up exponentially on that box of yours...Sooooo.. with a torque "curve" that isn't and the low drag at low speeds and the crazy high drag at high speeds the two cars will just shift in different places (remember torque back??) and get to 50 mph at about he same time..really! from 0-5 mph the "diesel" pulls ahead (3 inches) then shifts..the "gas" is still winding up from a slightly slower start (yes, less total available torque to the wheels) but as the diesel shifts, the gas is getting "on the cam" and it pulls away..and this differential effect stays WITH the cars, back and forth but..it's made almost un noticeable due to the rapidly increasing air drag...basically they are BOTH done at about 70 mph..one is turning 5000 rpm and is on the back side of the torque curve and the other one is turning oh, what..4200? and it really really close to the max torque but it's got a smaller "breaker bar" via the final drive and can't lever the car though the air any faster.... NOW I'm done....

steve...