Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jan 2002 21:43:07 +0000
From:         Paul Mayfield <paulmayfield@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vgon Crash Tests: no crush zones?

The ARB will not provide a crush zone. This is unlike any brushgard you've seen on SUVs. It's as solid as the rock of Gibraltar.

If smacked into something with enough force to bend it, it will surely bend the frame.

I was thinking a bullbar would prevent any intrusion to the feet and legs during an accident and guide the momentum up over the other vehicle instead of directly into the greatest mass. The lower extremities are most often severely injured in collisions. The idea is to use whatever you're hitting absorb the shock, since there is no way to home brew a crumple zone on the Vanagon. (how about bolting a honda 600 on the front!)

The ARB is also an excellent visual cue to people who may think of cutting in front of you. (Honda drivers with 12 inch tailpipes and racing decals are the exception)

Yes, the ARB is legal in all states. but not for long. Rumor has it that the European laws will only allow 'soft' bullbars (plastic) and the USA will soon follow. ANyone know more about these new regulations?

Paul '87 Westy with tiny foil bumpers.