Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Jan 2002 19:15:57 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: AUDI IN A VANAGON?
Comments: To: Raimund Feussner <rfeussner@GMX.DE>

>Andrew, not quite correct. > >Jürgen uses the G50, but I use the standard vanagon 5-speed. > >But I am working on a solution to use the stock Audi-5-Speed-Tranny. The >idea is old, but I saw a working version on this year´s Tuning-meeting at >the Hockenheimring: Put the Audi-tranny upside down! Don´t know how long >this will last (lubrication etc), but the vanagon at the Meeting had over >10,000miles on it with this configuration. >Plus, I have the tranny lying here, so I don´t need to buy one.

Egg on my face!! I should've checked, but I don't think I have it accessible.

I tought of using a Subaru Impreza WRX trans... until I heard how unreliable they are, and also you can't modify the case to flip the diff. I thought of an Audi trans too, but the diff killed that. If you flip the whole trans the engine will be lowered about 150mm! Better have a thick sump bottom!

I don't imagine lubrication would be a problem if you overfill it; so long as the gears are picking up oil and slinging it into the bearings, that should be okay.

Best of luck. Andrew