Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jan 2002 23:31:02 -0800
From:         Dan Snow <dieselvanagon@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Towing with A-frame attached to front bumper mount?
Comments: To: andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ

I was faced with the same predicament, but I only had to transport the van about 15 miles. I futzed around for a while with the front bumper, and finally decided to take off the rear bumper and attach it to the rear bumper mounts. They are strong enough. I towed it backward, with the steering locked straight ahead, and I never exceeded 20mph. It was a dynamic mess--tires screeching when I went around turns, etc. But it got the job done, with no apparent ill effects to the driveline. I wouldn't recommend it unless it is an emergency...

>From: Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ> >Reply-To: Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ> >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Towing with A-frame attached to front bumper mount? >Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 19:15:57 +1200 > >Anyone know whether the front bumper mount is strong enough to use >for an attachment point for towing, using an A-frame? > >I need to bring my Caravelle 365km to Dunedin from Christchurch, >where it's been stored. > >The buular was attached to the bumper mount by 2 long 12mm bolts run >vertically through the bumper mount bulge. The metal there appears >thick enough to carry the load. Any ideas? > >What I was thinking of doing was making an A-frame mount out of 2 >bent box-section U-shapes, which fit over the bumper mount and bolt >on via 2x12mm bolts run vertically through the mount and spaced about >1090mm (~4ft) apart; these would have a horizontal tube welded >between them as a stay. > >Will the bumper mount sheetmetal bear the load and will 12mm bolts >hold? If the bumper mount's too thin I'm screwed, as there is nowhere >to attacvh an A-frame elsewhere. Of course I could use 3 or 4 bolts >for attachment, but then I have to take the bumper mount curvature >into consideration, and I don't have the van here to measure... guess >the U-parts could be made one length and I could take a hacksaw along >to shorten them on the spot. But I'll need to use a cordless drill >for all this, and the battery may not be up to it! > >Thicker bolts than 12mm are of course feasible. >-- >Andrew Grebneff >165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand ><andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> >Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut >Friends don't let friends do Windows

Daniel Snow

'82 Vanagon Diesel '78 Puch Maxi Luxe Moped '01 Xootr Scooter http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/snow/vanagon/vanagon.htmh