Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Jan 2002 15:39:36 EST
From:         Steven Denis <NotaJeep@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Yer torquin me....<grin>
Comments: To: steveis@speakeasy.org

In a message dated 1/18/02 3:01:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, steveis@SPEAKEASY.ORG writes:

> can you explain the > difference between horsepower and torque, and more importantly, how they > work together in your example. And, just what does this mean to me in my > 1.9L gas Westy 4spd? Wow...got some time?????

You need to understand the difference between force and work. (If I sound like your high school teacher that's because I WAS a high school teacher..and POOR one at that) Force..it's "pressure" for our purposes..it can be measured in several ways.. Like "pounds" fer instance..great..we got pounds...what does THAT mean?...pounds per????

mmm Ok..let's just drop that for a bit and go to torque..that's pounds applied via a lever (and a wheel is just a continuous lever) Force though a distance, but for torque it's a rotational thing.....NO MOTION is required!!!..I'll bet you've done that..applied 150 ft/lbs (really Pounds/Feet by modern convention) by standing your 150 llbs on the very end of a 18 inch breaker bar..and the nut didn't turn... SO...POWER is the force though a distance as a function of TIME (distance?) ... HP is stated as 550 ft/lbs (hey,I'm old, ok?) per second... SO...engines develop a twist at the crankshaft.. cool..how much? Well, that depends on the engine..and things that effect engine performance (altitude?) We're gunna talk MAXIMUM here too...obviously restricting the fuel or the air (foot off the throttle) is going to lower the available torque. The BIG factor is engine speed..NOT because speed is part of torque, but it's how well the engine fills the cylinders and burns it's fuel in the time it has to do that.. porting, cams, fuel system etc all play a part in how any type of engine delivers torque at any given speed... Diesels and Petrol engines differ in the way they function.. for any given displacement a diesel will develop less total torque than a similar gas engine (compare VW rabbit 1600 gas and diesel specs) HOWEVER the diesel tends to make it's maximum torque quite low down on the rpm scale AND tends to HOLD that same figure for most of the RPM range. Like this: RPM GAS Diesel 1000 110 130 1500 135 144 2000 145 138 2500 155 135 3000 168 135 3500 171 132 4000 170 130 4500 152 --- 5000 128 --- 5500 95 --- GENERALLY diesel are slower turning due to the heavier bits needed to withstand the greater pressures of diesel operation. The gear box matches the rpm to the road speed so that you can select the necessary RPM for the wheel torque requirements.. MANY race engines will develop all KINDS of HP...but it's low torque at some ungodly RPM...drop down the rpm range and it doesn't do it..it will stall as the load is higher than the available torque..