Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Jan 2002 20:27:39 -0500
From:         John Reynolds <kayakjr@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Goodbye Eurovan Detroit Auto Show

I wouldn't be surprised if VW couldn't make the Eurovan work. I drove a 2001 non pop-top with the bed (MV?) in very late Nov. They had knocked $4,000 off the price, bringing it in line right with the Honda Odyssey that we bought.

It was almost a toss up between the two for us - but only with the big discount bringing the nearly $29,000 price just under $25,000. Even my wife was open to the idea. I figure if we did not get it, VW does not have much hope with the non-VW crowd.

Pluses on the model we looked at over the bottom line Honda

Alloy wheels on the VW (opt on LX or std on the EX Honda) Heated mirrors sliding side windows climate control AC (std on EX Honda) Table Bed Rear jump seats - great interior unique styling - not pretty but different from everything else part of the VW club

Minus- -Even though I could easily close the sliding door from the outside - it took me 5 tries form the inside - my wife had trouble with it too - so forget the kids being able to do it -I did not fit in the bed (I'm 6"2") - and it was uncomfortable -Removing seats is a pain and they are heavy (Honda rear seat folds into the floor) cheap plastic interior bits. -No access to under stuff under the rear bed platform without going outside - or removing cheap snap fit plastic bits under seat. -Seat rolls to fold down, likely everything in the van will have to be shifted each time you do this with camping gear and toys all over -Only one sliding door -Honda is newer design and drive better - 240Hp and 5-speed automatic too on the 2002 model! We are keeping for 200,000 miles- Honda will make it, Eurovan - maybe, but not without more repairs & more money in repairs than the Honda (Please no flames, with the exception of the elec doors on the EX Honda- hence our LX - they are extremely good) -Base Honda still cheaper -Plus it still couldn't sleep the whole family - would need the pop-top. But the pop-top was not on the lot, so it's not discounted and would cost something like $32,000! - Forget it!

I will cast a eye at them on the road but we needed something we can count on for 200,000 / 12 years. However - if you are considering a Eurovan - especially with some asking $10K for 93 ?!!? - it's worth a look. My advice - drive it - you like it - don't drive any thing else - buy your fantasy and enjoy!