Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Jan 2002 19:57:47 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jhrodgers@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: High Idle 1987 GL
Comments: To: brad barcom <bbarcom@HOME.COM>

Brad, while you are searching for a solution and trying to get your problem fixed, may I suggest that you simply check your idle setting before you start hunting all over the place and trying other things.

Do this by warming the engine, then jwith engine off, disconnect the Idle Stabilizer Valve (ISV for short). It's the little cylinder like thing that sits transversely right on top of the engine with the wire attach on the left end when viewed looking from the the rear to the front of the van. Start your engine and note the idle speed on the tach. It should be 850 to 900 rpm. If it is fast, actuate the throttle momentarily and be sure it comes back to a solid seated or closed position. It the idle is off, adjust it with the idle set screw. It is a big slotted screw on the air intake system directly in front (towards the front of the van) of the ISV. Once you have this set, with engine off, re-connect the ISV and run the engine and check its performance. If things are flakey, then move on to the next test as suggested by other list members. Many of my idle speed problems have been related to the ISV. I started having a bucking problem .... it was the ISV. Right now I am running with it disconnected. Not a problem unless I need the air conditioner. I had a problem with the ISV control of the rpms for operation of the air conditioner. The ISV system remps up the RPM to prevent the AC from stalling the engine at low rpm. It was the ISV control system causing me the problem. So needless to say, I always double check my idle rpm setting, then look at the ISV when there is trouble. After that, I look at other things. Process of elimination.

Good luck,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver