Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jan 2002 02:15:40 EST
From:         Steve Lashley <ThingGuy@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Eurovan Q and A
Comments: To: vgonman@MSN.COM

In a message dated 1/18/02 2:38:52 PM, vgonman@MSN.COM writes:

<< For anyone considering getting a Eurovan, do a tour on the Eurovan list. I

considered getting one a couple years back, for I think they are good

looking vehicles.

Wow, I think everything you have written here is far from correct. And yes, please join the EuroVan list.

<<They are quite overpriced.>>

VW dropped the price on the 2001 - on EuroVans by about $5,000 making them competitive with other high end vans. The EuroVan Camper sells for around $38K, which is priced thousands less than other poptop campers out there like Sportsmobile or GTRV.

<<Parts availability is the worst..........the number of cars imported to the

stats is miniscule, so really few to no aftermarket parts........most parts

come from GERMANY to the dealer................and forget even thinking

about a 93...notorious pieces of sh**.>>

No parts are shipped direct from Germany to the dealer. All EuroVan parts come from the VWOA parts system. I have never had trouble getting any parts I needed within a few days. My wife drove my '93 Weekender into a ditch last month. The shop replaced quite a few parts and all were easy to get. In 2001 VW sold over 5000 EuroVans plus over 1200 EuroVan Campers. Not a huge number, but certainly not minuscule. Many parts are available aftermarket including starters, water pumps, CVs, belts, alternators, blower motors, exhaust systems, and brakes, just to name a few.

<<Mechanically harder to work on being front engine, most repair shops do not

touch them, so you are stuck with the dealer, and dealer rates..........>>

So a rear engine van is easier to work on? Most Audi shops will gladly work on the EuroVans, as well as most other German car shops. Yes you should take your $30,000 van to the dealer. Would you trust your new Jetta or Passat that is under warranty to your local gas station mechanic?

<<These are not MY opinions..........these were the opinions of several

Eurovan List listees that laid the facts on the table..............a few of

them viewed the car as a nightmare, and thank god for their list or I would

have been in there shoes based on the cosmetic appearance of the vehicle! >>

I deal with EuroVan owners every day and I'm also am on the EuroVan mailing list. I hear very little complaints about the new EuroVans. There has been a few posts recently about the power steering making noise when it's cold. That's about it. Yes there have been a few people that bought a used '93 model in unknown condition and have had problems. There are also dozens if not hundreds of EuroVan owners with very high mileage that have had no problems, including myself. I put over 160K on my 1993 and never had an engine problem, no transmission troubles, no air conditioning problems at all. I never had a alternator fail, nor the starter, or the radiator. No head gasket problems, no distributor going bad, no water pump going out. You get the idea. I'm not alone. I think the vast majority of EuroVan owners are very happy with their vans.

Steve Lashley SKL Enterprises Inc. http://EuroCampers.com 636-797-9015 636-789-2127 fax