Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Jan 2002 23:59:06 -0800
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Continued Bucking - Digifant readings
Comments: To: van man <vannman99@YAHOO.COM>

Hello- My experience was that I had to replace the Afm and use the harness fix.The problem has been solved for 4 years now. Alternator going bad-not good-voltage spikes from failing diodes are a cause of ECU damage. If you are running on battery voltage only, low voltage in the system will affect the operation of the Electronic fuel injection . Better get a new alternator and chances are that your problem will go away. The voltage output from the Alternator should be 14+ volts.

Robert K 1982 Westfalia 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender Seattle

----- Original Message ----- Wrom: SKVFVWR Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2002 1:55 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Continued Bucking - Digifant readings

The 87 syncro is still buckin like a stalion. Most of the bucking is at highway speeds, cold or hot, but it will buck briefly in 2nd or 3rd gear with high rpms, esp with a load. bucking started off very sporadic, and is now pretty much constant. Here's what I have done so far...

- Checked temp sensors in place and not loose. - Fixed o2 sensor (wire was torn in half). - replaced throttle switch with new one. - tightened (then untightened AFM). - removed AFM aftermarket wiring harness (bucking got worse) put it back on. -replaced plugs, cap, rotor and wires (not bosch wires, but oem from bus depot). - didnt mess with timing. - checked obvious grounds

Some other symptoms - - Think the alternator is going bad - OX and battery light on most of the time now. Alt is 2 years old, only 10k miles on it. - high idle when cold - up to 2500-3000 rpms. - average idle when warm is 1200-1400 rpms. - afm shows warn tracks on the carbon thingy - cant tell if they are badly warn or not.

So, today I fixed my rat chewed digitool and fired her up. heres the numbers while hot at freeway speeds:

Throttle switch led and Fi led work correctly when idling and wide open. temp 1 - hovers around 1.24/5 up to 1.28 once temp II - hovers around .14/5 OX - fairly wild, occasional - to 6.3 AFM - around 3.5 - couple of checks showed 3.8/9

When the bucking was occuring, numbers seemed to hold steady, although FI light flicked on and off wildly. Also, battery level down to low 11's during bucking, even 10.9. still bucked a time or two at battery level of 12+, but when bucking was bad, battery level was always in the 11's.

Do these numbers/symptoms say anything to anyone? I cant find my digitool diagnostic numbers at home or in the archives, and my URL for Darrels site is out of date.

Thanks,

Jeff