Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:15:38 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Overhaul an 81 air cooled
Comments: To: jbrush@aros.net

Start by cleaning the engine outside all over with spray Gunk engine cleaner. DO NOT spray it on a hot engine. Replace the push rod seals and replace the valve cover gaskets. Check the oil pressure sender (common to leak at threads and through the top) I'd run some gunk / siloo or other engine flush through the engine. Check what comes out, dirty oil for sure but look for brass (distributor gears), lead and copper (bearings) iron and steel (cams and rings) just let the flushed oil sit for about 30 minutes and mix the bottom cup or two from your drain pan 50/50 with gasoline and strain it through a coffee paper filter. Change the filter (use Mahle brand) clean the strainer and install 20/50 WT engine oil. Use only 2.5 quarts of oil and pour in a full quart of Marvel Mystery oil and just run it for the normal 3000 miles between changes. I've seem Marvel clean piston ring groves, lifters, valves etc. its a weird and wonderful product for air cooled engines. Do this routine first because I've used just this procedure to bring back many near dead, neglected, abused and ignored engines back to good utility. However I have a very good enjgine if you need one. http://williamwareagency.com/forsale/stanvan/parts.htm

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:20:40 -0700 jbrush@aros.net writes: > > >This will give you a good start on the rebuild: > > Wow! That is a lot of good info Stan. I am in your debt. Thanks a > lot. > Small block chevy's are where I grew up. These little flat fours are > a > mystery to me. FWIW, it runs great, but I am losing power at a rapid > rate. > Last fall I loaded it up with the kids and the camping gear and it > was not > having a good time going over the usual mt passes. That, an it blows > a ton > of oil on a 1000 mile trip. The plugs say its not burning it, but > the rear > deck says its blowing out at highway speeds. Always a film on the > back. As > you know, its never gonna be speedy, but I would like to get it back > to > somewhere near the original power output. That would be more than > enough > for my needs. > > This makes me think rings and a valve job would get me back a > little > power, and hopefully the pushrod tubes are the source of a lot of > the oil > blowing out. > > I am looking for the compromise between an all out, break open the > case, > rebuild, and doing an in between to see if I can get just a little > more > life out of it. At 200K+ miles, I would be happy to get another 50K > out of > it before its 'new motor' time. Lots of variables in life that > effect all > these decisions, as I'm sure you know :-) Its not my everyday > driver. 95% > of the miles are weekend or longer trips. > > It sounds to me like you know what is involved, so I will keep > pestering > you until I figure out the best way to go. > > Thank you very much for the words, and for your time. > > Best Regards, > > John > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.