Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:14:29 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Inner CV boot replacement on an '81
Comments: To: okartguy@hotmail.com

Its best to remove the entire axle. The CVs often need a little persuasion to get them off but you may luck out and have one that will just slip off and you can avoid the hammer. I'd replace both boots and use good molybdenum grease on each one. New bolts are also recommended and are supplied in the boot repair kits many times. Unless the bearing cages are bad, most CVs cam be run even with a lot of wear in them. I've heard of CVs lasting 300,000 miles. I recently replaced 4CVs with 287K on them as part of a restoration on my 83 Westy and the old ones looked good except for minor pitting on the center drive bearing locator. They were still running quiet.

Stan Wilder 83 Aircooled Westfalia

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 08:46:08 -0600 Jon Joyce <okartguy@HOTMAIL.COM> writes: > I was crawling around underneath the van last night, and noticed the > driver's side CV boot has a tear. Not a huge one, but enough to > spray a fine > mist of white grease on the undercarriage. Hopefully it hasn't been > that way > for long, but I'd like to replace the boot this weekend. The Bentley > manual > show how all the parts go together, but doesn't really detail the > procedure. > Do I have to remove the entire axle, or can I unbolt it at the final > drive > flange and just repair it from that end? I noticed the outer CVs > and > bearings are brand new; not sure why the PO didn't replace the inner > boots, > too. Thanks- > > JJ > > _________________________________________________________________ > Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: > http://mobile.msn.com > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.