Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jan 2002 14:03:55 -0500
From:         John Unger <w4au@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject:      '83 water-boxer for sale

FOR SALE: 1983 water-cooled Vanagon -- $1200.00

BACKGROUND: I am the original owner of this fine vehicle and have been its friend through thick and thin. It has about 210,000 miles (I say "about" because the odometer broke a few years ago; the speedometer still functions fine). We used it for camping trips and long drives to New England and Canada for the first 10 or so years of its life and since then it has been relegated to shorter, local jaunts around Virginia.

MECHANICAL: Recently the bus has started to have a problem with the clutch/brake hydraulic system; I believe it is the clutch slave or master cylinder. The symptom is that the brake/clutch fluid reservoir needs to be refilled every couple of days. The van can be driven short distances, but this problem definitely has to be fixed. I think that the water pump is beginning to go; there are occasional small leaks from the pump when the engine is warmed up. Also should be fixed soon. The engine is a short block rebuild that was installed at ~145,000 miles and runs strongly. A rebuilt transaxel was put in at ~160,000 miles. The car has no problems with head gaskets coolant leaks.

BODY: The body has no rust at the seams and is essentially rust-free except for some small spots on the rear window/tailgate. The sliding door has a dent/crease, which was a present from an unknown assailant in a parking lot a few years ago and which shows some rust where the paint was scraped off. The door functions OK; it's just a little drafty and noisy when on the road; Door should be fixed or replaced.

We live in western Loudoun County, Virginia, about 50 miles northwest of Washington D.C. The van can be test driven and should be OK to be moved up to a 100+ miles; no guarantees there. I have been driving it a couple of times a week around the countryside. I've attempted to describe this vehicle as accurately as possible. Please email me directly with questions.

Thanks - John Unger