Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:59:58 -0500
From:         "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Pauls in Annandale sucks.
Comments: To: TeresaRein@aol.com
Comments: cc: info@vanagon.com

Zoinks!!

I am so sorry to hear that.

I forwarded your letter to the Vanagon Newsgroup to warn others, and ask that the "Paul's in Annandale" recommendation be pulled from the Vanagon.com site, ASAP.

That recommendation is from about 5 years back (1997?); I had completely forgotten about it being out there. I wish I had remembered it being there because I have since changed my opinion of Paul's 180 degrees, based on a similar experience to yours.

In 1998 or thereabouts, I brought our mint-condition Type2 to them to replace the front main seal (the one behind the clutch), which was leaking slightly. When I went to pick it up, I trusted that all would be well, based on earlier experience.

I paid the invoice (with a check) and went out to drive the bus home... Needless to say, the bus was not running right at all; it would hardly run. I pulled back into Pauls, (which, as you know is a royal pain in the *** once you are back on the street. I asked him "what gives"? they said they'd take a look... I waited an hour, consistently asking that they get my van in the shop and fix it. He had a thousand lame excuses about "having to finish this one up, and then he'd "get right on it..."

Fuming, I finally left with the bus, and limped it home to Fairfax city, where we lived.

When I got home and poked around in the motor, I found my tin all banged up, the engine periphery air seal installed backwards, almost NONE of the vacuum lines connected (a couple of them plugged with bolts, and a myriad of mis-routed wires and hoses. It was mechanical anarchy. I stopped payment on the check and wrote a note to Pauls describing in detail what I found.

He threatened to take me to court, and told him in so many words to kiss my entire white ***. In the end, I sent him a check for (I think) $100 for the stuff they did right (the main seal) and told him wouldn't see a dime more. I haven't talked to him since.

The other place to avoid is Buggy Barn in Alexandria. Even suckier.

I have since opted for the dealer (Stohlman's) or Ace German Auto in Woodbridge. Ace is more a restoration shop for Air-cooled, and they will tell you as much. Stohlman's knows their stuff (or atleast they did up until 2000, the last time I had work done there).

From historic, walkable Mount Olive, NC,

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Business: www.bulley-hewlett.com Alliance: www.ntara.com Home: www.MountOliveNC.info

-----Original Message----- From: TeresaRein@aol.com [mailto:TeresaRein@aol.com] Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 11:04 AM To: gmbulley@bulley-hewlett.com Subject: Your recommendation

Matthew,

I followed the listing on the vanagon.com list and your testimonial and had my van, which I bought in Annandale from a private party "checked out" at Paul's. It seems that they did not only do nothing (they finally did a compression check after I insisted, but didn't put the heat shields back, and never drove the vehicle, which I had expressly asked for), but they also gave me dangerous advice (when I called them after I broke down an hour outside their shop) which I think contributed to a catastrophic head failure.

This is especially interesting in the light of the fact that they had worked on this vehicle for the PO. My shop tells me now I have a bad lower end also, so most likely not a vehicle with the advertised "original" mileage of 49k.

I is very possible that these folks used to be good at air-cooled engines, but to tell a person whose overflow tank is squirting coolant that this if fine and she should just go ahead is, to say the least, questionable.

While I am not holding you responsible for any of my or "Paul's" decisions, I just wanted to alert you to the fact that not all that comes out of there, works. I am glad it did for your wife.

Teresa Reinhardt