Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:43:39 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Heater blower/fresh air flap pictures
Comments: To: hradek@yahoo.com

I have a fresh air blower motor in my 83 Air Cooled Westfalia that has a mind of its own. Sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't. After I get a little 35 mph airflow across the blower it starts and runs for the entire time I'm driving, even runs while I'm stopped at red lights etc. on all speeds. I've pulled these air flow boxes out of several salvage vanagons and I will probably never replace my blower motor. I've never pulled my dash down to the extreme level it takes to get that stinking blower out for replacement. I'd rather install a clutch and pressure plate than take on that job. I put off installing new rear axle bearings for many years and finally broke down and installed the bearings. The job was a breeze and I found that they were reaching the point of failure (287k) since the grease was solidly hard packed all around the bearings and the bearings were not getting lubricated because that hard packed grease wasn't liquefying and getting to the bearings. Since that blower motor won't cripple my Westy the blower replacement is in infinite holding pattern.

Stan Wilder 83 Westfalia Air Cooled

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:01:40 -0800 gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM> writes: > Chris, > One word for that job. "UGLY" > but your pictures are great. gary > Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:40:45 -0600 > From: Chris Stann <ChrisS@INFORMS.COM> > Subject: Heater blower/fresh air flap pictures > > For the forever inquisitive and those who are > unfortunate enough to > have > experienced it on their own: > http://www.knology.net/~vw/dash/ > > Some pictures from my latest surgery: The dash pull. > > Chris. > > '85 Westy > Now with fully functioning air flaps. > > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Great stuff seeking new owners in Yahoo! Auctions! > http://auctions.yahoo.com > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.